AquaCelle™ is a patent-pending, clinically-validated self micro-emulsifying drug delivery system (SMEDDS), specifically designed to increase the bioavailability of lipophilic actives.
A need for greater bioavailability
Bioavailability and absorption of ingredients is an important issue for many dietary supplements in the market. The higher the bioavailability of a nutrient, the more that nutrient can be absorbed and benefit the body. For the human body to receive maximum benefits from lipophilic actives (fat-soluble ingredients)—such as Lutein, Resveratrol, Curcumin, and Omega-3s—they must be surrounded with an emulsifier to make them more bioavailable and absorbable.
What is the AquaCelle micro-emulsifying nutrient delivery system?
AquaCelle is a lipid based formulation that self-assembles into a micellar colloidal delivery system in aqueous environments (such as the stomach) at body temperature. These micelles are what envelop fat-soluble ingredients, helping their benefits to be absorbed more fully into the body.
The body has its own built-in capacity to make fat-soluble ingredients absorbable. Using the liver to form bile acids and then bile salts, the body then secretes these salts to surround molecules of fat-soluble ingredients to allow them to be absorbed by the small intestine. The formation of micelles is time-consuming and waits on bile salts to form, be secreted, and form micelles before each ingredient can be properly and beneficially absorbed, leaving room for fat-soluble nutrients to be damaged by stomach acids while waiting.
AquaCelle is designed to more efficiently create these micelles, delivering better absorption and a more efficacious finished product for the consumer.
AquaCelle is made in Australia from pharmacopoeial grade ingredients. All ingredients in AquaCelle are approved for use in functional foods and beverages, as well as in high-quality dietary supplements. AquaCelle can be used to enhance bioavailability for ingredients such as:
- Omega-3s (fish oils, algae oils, chia oil)
- Lipophilic botanicals (Silymarin, Curcumin, Grape Seed Extract, Resveratrol, Evening Primrose Oil) Fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K)
- Fat-soluble nutrients (Coenzyme Q10, Conjugated Linoleic acid)
AquaCelle also allows for lipophilic ingredients to be incorporated into innovative dosage formats such as gummies, gels, and other supplements.
Incorporate AquaCelle in product formulations to increase the bioavailability of lipophilic actives.
Currently, two clinical human studies have been conducted using the AquaCelle delivery system and additional clinical studies are underway.
Human clinical study measuring bioavailability of standard CoQ10 vs. AquaCelle CoQ10
A comparative, controlled (parallel design) single-dose pharmacokinetic study was conducted using two types of CoQ10. Two groups of clinically healthy males and females between the ages of 18 to 50 years participated in the study (19 people total). Subjects were randomized to either receive AquaCelle CoQ10 or the standard CoQ10(control)
Study results: Subjects who supplemented with AquaCelle CoQ10, demonstrated the following results:
- Significant increase in plasma levels—highest Cmax (maximum concentration) values were seen in the AquaCelle group
- The AUC difference in AquaCelle CoQ10 vs. Standard CoQ10 bioavailability was 460%
- The plasma concentration of the AquaCelle CoQ10 remained well above the levels of the standard CoQ10 through the 24-hour period (see below).
Human clinical study measuring bioavailability of standard Omega-3 Ethyl Esters (EE) vs. AquaCelle EE Omega-3
A comparative, controlled, single-dose pharmacokinetic study was conducted using two types of Omega-3 Ethyl Esters (EE). Two groups of clinically healthy subjects of both sexes (6 participants) between the ages of 30 to 50 years participated in the study. Subjects were randomized to either receive AquaCelle EE or the standard EE (control)
Study results: Subjects who supplemented with AquaCelle EE, demonstrated the following results:
- Only the AquaCelle group (after supplementation with the EE Omega-3s) experienced steady increase in plasma levels continuing for 8 hours.
- The plasma concentration of AquaCelle EE Omega-3 remained well over the control over the duration of the study.
Approved health claims
- Helps increase bioavailability of lipophilic ingredients
- Highly customizable
- Uses pharmacopoeial grade ingredients
- Approved for use in foods
- Allows for innovative dosage formats
- AquaCelle uses food-grade ingredients sourced from EU, USA and Australia
- Clinically validated